ChildLight Yoga & Mindfulness
for Children & Teens with Special Needs
Safe and accessible yoga for all abilities.
Regardless of our challenges, with practice, each human being is uniquely able to develop greater body awareness, physical and mental strength and well-being. Learn how the practice of yoga can benefit children and teens ages 4+ with a wide range of diagnoses and physical and developmental disorders such as Trauma, Anxiety and Depression, ADHD, Sensory Processing Disorders, Autism, Cerebral Palsy and Down Syndrome. In this training, you will be empowered to facilitate individualized, group and family programs, sharing appropriate breathing and relaxation techniques, as well as posture modifications using chairs and other props. You will also learn effective methods for encouraging cooperation, building community and developing social skills. Emphasis will be on creating lesson plans for a variety of contexts as well as practice teaching. All tools and techniques will be shared with a focus on teaching through a trauma informed lens.
In this training, you will learn:
This program is recommended for:Yoga teachers, parents, teachers, occupational therapists, physical therapists, social workers, caregivers and others who work with children and teens with special needs. It is recommended that trainees have a minimum of one year yoga experience. Training Schedule:
- How to adapt ChildLight Yoga and other curricula to include and support children with special needs.
- Techniques for cultivating your own creativity and intuition in developing lesson plans with the unique characteristics of your students in mind.
A variety of accessible yoga postures, movement and activities that challenge your students just enough to allow personal growth and pride in their achievements.
- Skills for managing group dynamics.
- How to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances that can occur in a variety of settings and contexts.
- How trauma, anxiety and depression relate to the world of disability, and why being trauma-informed is so critical, particularly when working with this special population.
- Trauma-informed breathing exercises and relaxation techniques to reduce anxiety and stress.
- Posture modifications, including chair postures and use of other props, which allow full participation of students with physical challenges.
- Effective techniques for developing social skills, encouraging cooperation, and building community within your group.
- Skills for improving communication with students who do not speak.
- Non-threatening, hands on assists to support your students.
- Techniques for engaging all types of learners by incorporating visual, auditory, tactile and vibratory cues.
- Special considerations for implementation of yoga programs for youth with special needs.
- Considerations for, and differences between, offering one on one sessions, group classes and family programs for children with significant needs.
- Holistic approach which incorporates the needs and challenges of the individual child, family dynamics, school and social goals.
- Characteristics of specific disabilities and considerations in relationship to yoga.
- Concepts of language of disability and disability culture.
Tips and tools for starting and maintaining a program, what to charge for services, legal and other business-related considerations.
- Take away Lesson Plans, Practice Teach Experience, Family stories and a Comprehensive Manual. View Unedited, real life classes, through demo classes and/or video.
The ChildLight Yoga & Mindfulness for Children and Teens with Special Needs Teacher Training is a 24-hour intensive course. The course incorporates lecture, movement and yoga practice, group sharing, lesson planning, and practice teach sessions. Specific hours will vary based on the availability of the host studio/training location (please check the schedule). There will be breaks for lunch and/or dinner, with local eatery suggestions provided. For those traveling from out of town, some lovely, reasonably-priced lodging suggestions can also be provided - please inquire. Certification Requirements:
Certification is optional and will be discussed at the completion of the training. Certification processing is included in the cost of the training. ChildLight Yoga & Mindfulness for Children & Teens with Special Needs Teacher Training Includes:
Additional CEUs, PDPs, and Yoga Alliance credit hours:
- 24 contact hours with 10 optional non-contact hours for certification
- Comprehensive, fully-illustrated Instructor manual
- Certification administration and materials including listing on ChildLight Yoga Find an Instructor Near You page with location and email contact link (upon optional completion of certification process)
- Membership in the CLY for Special Needs Instructor Facebook group community
- 24 contact hours applicable toward the ChildLight Yoga RCYS 95 Hr Program
Registered yoga teachers are eligible for 24 continuing education contact hours and optional non-contact hours through Yoga Alliance. Professional Development Points (PDPs) and/or CEUs may also be available through your employer or credentialing organization. As each credentialing organization has their own requirements, you should confirm with them that your training hours will apply toward your degree or continuing education requirements. Application for accreditation from these organizations is your responsibility. Additional fees may be required.
For additional information please visit our FAQ page here.